Sunday, May 3, 2009

Background Music


Something old is new again ...
I am a huge fan of the summer 'mixtape' (in my case a cd). It's a relatively affordable way to maintain your cool in the car or at home on your woefully out of date stereo system (ipod hookup not enabled). Making a mixtape is lovely and I often theme them. Obvious choices are Golden Oldies, Best of the 80s, songs with the word 'groovy' in the title and so on. I also like making mixtapes for those around me who are out of the music loop as it were. Mainly this is my stepmum. Each summer I make her a CD with mellow, cute music that I know she'll appreciate. I have to admit this is not a completely altruisitc task. If I have to listen to music in the car with the fam, I'd rather listen to something I've carefully put together for enjoyment than Three Day's Grace (courtesy of my brother), Guero by Beck (courtesy of my dad --> good album, in fact I bought it for him ... but not after the 100th listen), or Aly and AJ (*shiver* courtesy of my sister).
Anyway I was thinking about lazing about this afternoon and getting some Goalatude work done by reading a book. Naturally I needed some background music. I carefully thought about each CD as I passed over it, finally selecting In Between Dreams, because J. Johnson never fails me. when I pulled it out though, one of my mixtapes fell out as well. All it said was "For Sue" so I thought I'd pop it in and see what it was all about it. Turns out it was a CD I made about 2 years ago for the summertime. I've now listened to it twice in a row and I'm still not completely sick of it - brings back all the memories: good and bad from summer '07. Some of the songs I know got carried over from summer '06 and of course remind me of my last days of highschool ... all wonderful. I am now determined to make one this summer that will be just as memorable.
:
:
:
Track Listing of "For Sue"
1) Boston - Augustana
2) Still Fighting It - Ben Folds
3) Swallowed in the Sea - Coldplay
4) Ode to My Family - The Crandberries
5)We Both Go Down Together - The Decemberists
6)Let Love In - Goo Goo Dolls
7)How To Save A Life - The Fray
8)We Will Still Need a Song - Hawksley Workman
9)You And I Collide - Howie Day
10)The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson
11)My Lady's House - Iron & Wine
12)Flake - Jack Johnson
13) In the Sun - Joseph Arthur
14) Somewhere Only we Know- Keane
15) Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright
16) Spike the Senses - Of Montreal
17)New Slang - The Shins
18) Engine Driver - The Decemberists

2 comments:

ivana m. said...

Aly and AJ - break up song = BEST SONG EVER!

I played along it rolled right off my back
Obviously my armor was cracked

such eloquence, such poetic brilliance

cait said...

*teacupping*

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0