Monday, April 13, 2009

Something Old is New Again

Okay, so recently a couple of truly awful songs have been released and now play in semi-heavy rotation on Much and Much More Music and it got me to thinking about things that come into prominence again after some time out of the limelight ... mainly songs.


The BAD kind: Without flying too far off the handle into the dark parts of my personality (an occurence that has been iduced by these songs before) I'll mention them and why they are whoreable. First is Right Round by Florida (yeah I am not going to mispronounce a state name for the likes of you sir). Basically everything about this song is terrible ... the vocals are pitchy and unbearable, the video is a rotating buffet of crap and it sucks the fun and goodtimes vibe of the original 80s new wave classic by Dead or Alive and replaces it with low rate, sexist garbage that effectively sums up everything that is wrong with 'hip hop' music these days. Second is Karl Wolf's Africa or should I say Toto's Africa, butchered and served at a dirty roadside burger joint with a topping of pretentiousness and a side of douchery. The video for this song is -if possible - worse than the song itself. It begins with a Microsoft Movie Maker title then quickly tries to prove Karl Wolf-my-cookies is rich by the presence of a butler ... only the butler is holding an umbrella that looks suspiciously like something you'd pick up at a dollarama ... lame. So that is the BAD kinda of old becoming new again. I just hope the teenagers hopelessly download these songs off itunes as evidenced by their top 10 list, had the decency and good graces to realize these both pale in comparison to their orignal counterparts.

The GOOD kind: as I mentioned in the previous post, I saw Monsters vs. Aliens today and there was a bucket load of good trailers - one of which was for Spike Jonze's adaptation of Where the Wild Things Are. The trailer features a song off the Arcade Fire's 2004 album Funeral called Wake Up (click it <--). I bought this album a couple years ago along with their more recent venture Neon Bible. Both albums are amazing (even though I was admittedly reluctant to believe the Hype about this band ... i finally gave in and suggest everyone else do the same). Anyway ... I hadn't listened to Wake Up in a criminally long while, probably because Rebellion (Lies), Crown of Love, and Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out) are the only song titles I can name off the top of my head from that album. But this Trailer brought all the glory of the song back fresh into my head and I've been listening to it happily, along with the rest of the Arcade Fire's songs all day!
...
My only hang-up with Arcade Fire is the fact that they have so many members ... you know where you're like well, seriously ALL of you guys NEED to be there? ... Really? You sure we don't just have a Chumbawamba situation where 2 people sing, one guy plays a trumpet at key points and the rest of you just flail around onstage for the duration of the song? ... okay okay - just checking.

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0