Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Katch Frazes

A couple of weeks ago I was on the bus with Calvin coming back from watching the Watchmen (I think we can now safely say we KNOW: Who Watches the Watchmen =D) and we passed by a Chapter's. Part of its sign was burnt out so it read: CHATER'S - which of course automatically brought me back to my high school days when all I ever heard was "That's sooo chate" from my classmates. What I didn't realize then, which I do now is that the slang chate originated and is pretty much only used in Oakville, Ontario. How do I know this you may ask? ... Urban Dictionary:

chate
Originated in Oakville, "Chate" roughly describes a shitty deal or coming up short. The word's namesake was a student at OTHS (Oakville-Trafalgar Highschool) who was known to short-change you when dealing marijuana. It's primarily used by Oakvillians from the east side of town.
i.e. Hey man, you owe me $100. Don't be chate on me. i.e.This party is so chate, let's bust out of here.
Or read this ridiculously detailed article that looks like something out of the Oakville Beaver...
Anyway yeah ... language has just been on my mind lately, as has spelling. I've realized while writing this blog that I am a terybul speller =D. Today in Latin I was trying to focus.. (puh sorry couldn't even type that with a straight face ... anyway) I couldn't take my eyes off the poorly erased chalkboard behind my prof.. which included the words: language, power and privlidge. I still can't decide what's more disturbing ... the fact that someone in charge of a university classed spelled Privlidge like so, or that even though I laughed because it was wrong, I couldn't spell it properly myself and had to be corrected by Dorcas. well at least Privalege is better than Privlidge. ... in case your sitting reading this getting slowly more uncomfortable as the post goes on because you too cannot for sure spell it properly ... PRIVILEGE. It's okay - this is a safe place ...

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0