Thursday, March 18, 2010

An Education

First off, I know I haven't blogged in a while but I was under great duress as the date for my seminar presentation on Le Morte d'Arthur drew closer over the past 2 weeks. Thankfully that presentation has, as of 4pm today, been delivered and since I am zapped of any useful energy to direct toward the four essays I must now complete, I've decided to do a little something here. So forgive this delayed post but I simply must talk about An Education.


I am so desperately in love with everything about this film. The story, the clothes, the music - it is all more wonderful than the last. The message of this film is so inspiring and I really cannot say enough about the performances, especially that of Carey Mulligan. What prompted me to watch An Education was the impending Oscars. I realized that I had only seen one of the films nominated for best picture - UP! - yes I was woefully out of the movie loop and that hasn't really changed too much quite honestly. I still haven't seen Avatar, Precious or The Hurt Locker. But I was so there for It's Complicated which is one of my favourite films of 2009 so I suppose that somewhat makes up for it. Anyway, come Oscar weekend I was feeling particularly lazy and so I decided to watch a couple movies that were up for some nominations. I watched Up in the Air which I thought was okay, but that Anna Kendrick did not deserve a nomination and Vera Farmiga's character left me unimpressed.
Then I watched An Education and was blown away by how such a simple story could resonate so much with me. As a soon to be University graduate the one nosy question I get most from anyone is what I plan on doing with my life. The second, once someone learns of my concentration is a little more judgemental - Classics and English Literature, they say, do you plan to teach? Um no. And so when Carrey's character struggles with decision to attend university (which she sees as inevitably leading to a sad life as a teacher) or letting her much older beaux take care of her and forego her education completely I was excited. Finally a story that valued education and not vacuous beauty/charm. Also endearing Carey's Jenny is so enjoyable to watch. She's smart, she's sweet, she's sharp. Oh I lover her even in all her silliness, she is jsut 17 after all. Another trait that endeared me to her was her struggle with Latin, I hear ya sister! If you are firmly anti institutional education, then perhaps this is not the film for you. If you, however, Are begging to be shown why you've spent four years tirelessly working away at dead languages and dead poets - look no further. 

Oh right, the soundtrack. I loved just about every song I heard in this film. Particularly these two:


Sur Les Quais Du Vieux Paris by Juliette Gréco


Smoke without Fire by Duffy
click to listen

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0